Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Downtown Chicago...or is it Uptown?

Here it is folks, downtown Chicago as seen from the window of our room on the 26th floor. That structure to the right which looks somewhat like a bowl is Soldier Field (better picture below). It's an amazing structure with Greco-Roman columns that are not so visible these days. It was built in the early 1920's and after a remodel actually seats less people than it used to. That mass of huge buildings directly in front of you is "downtown". That's where I went today. I didn't take a cab like any normal tourist would have, I called for my car...
I took the handy directions I got off Mapquest and was on my way; the wrong way down the street. Once I realized I was not going to find E. 24th Street I turned around and went the other way. I found my turn and loped onto the freeway, too all the appropriate ramps and found myself looking down at the freeway I should have been on. No worries I just hopped off and headed north, found the street I should have exited on and continued bravely on my way.

The County Records office is located at 118 N. Clark Street. I found N. Clark Street and deftly zipped into the left lane so I could turn...onto a one way street going the wrong way? No. I was proud of myself for finding it at all! I went two blocks over and made a quick right, knowing I would find another one way street taking me back to Clark. I was in the wrong lane again.

After two passes and seeing nowhere to park, not knowing exactly which block it was on, I started heading south hoping I could find my hotel again. At some point I saw S. Clark and so I tured around and thought I could sneak up on it that way. No luck. I finally turned around again and found the hotel without too much problem. Where is the GPS when I need it? Packed up in the hotel room, of course. I told the friendly valet at the hotel if I called for my car again to remind me I don't really want to drive in Chicago!

Amidst the lunch time crowds of people walking, taxi's honking, road work and a maze of one way streets I have decided to try again tomorrow but I will pay for a cab. They seem to know where they are going! I am hoping to get a bit of genealogy done in this area so wish me luck!

2 comments:

Katie Blatter said...

Good luck!!! Thanks for the pictures!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wild ride! Are you going to an Oprah show while you're there? It would be fun to come back with some cool stuff, possibly from her 'favorites' show...